Sunday, May 3, 2015

Heap of Scraps

Back in March, I talked about buying a box of scraps for $10.00.
So far, I got this top almost made.  The only fabric pulled from my stash was the background fabric where you see the applique.  The borders will also come from my stash.  Oh dear, I really, really must get back to this project.
Then, after pulling all of the green, red and neutral fabrics, I figured there was enough to make another top.  The trees that you see, will go all around the quilt.   
Now, with this top there are a lot of humble blocks.  In the box, there are not too many large pieces, some 2-1/2" wide strips.  Most are 2" or 1-1/2" strips.  So, in order to get 2-1/2" pieces for my blocks, I had to resort to sewing smaller strips of the same fabric together and then trim down to 2-1/2" wide.  Here are just a few blocks where you can see what I've done.  

The red striped fabric is from my stash.  Everything else ... so far ... is from the box of scraps.

Being creative is good for the soul!  I'm calling this top "Humble Christmas".

Initially, my plan was just to make the one top and then pass on the scraps.  But, darn it, curiosity got the better of me and now I'm trying to see how many tops can be made from those scraps.  Perhaps some hexies will be forth coming?


Have a great day!

16 comments:

ferne said...

Amazing! I love them both!

Jennifer said...

You have nailed both tops.....'Humble Christmas' is beautiful, and the applique top is gorgeous! I'm looking forward to seeing them both done.

hetty said...

Your scrap quilts are fantastic! Love the way you made wider fabric in order to be able to use it in your quilt. Can't wait to see some hexies!

paulette said...

Two fun quilts with more on the horizon!! Got to love it!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Great scrap quilts--well worth the $10!

sandi s said...

I love both quilts! Great scraps. Hugs,

JoEllen said...

Shorthand quilts are lovely! I especially love the applique!

Created by Kathi said...

Lovely quilts you have made from your scrap box.. thanks so much for sharing your talent! Kathi

Deanna W said...

Love the challenge of using up someone else's scraps. Love it when my friends give me their scraps!!

Deb said...

this looks great RM another ones scraps is anothers treasure!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I am addicted to taking scraps and turning them into quilts. I have been trying to use my smaller pieces of older stash up. It amazes me that each time I reorganize it I easily find another quilt that I can produce out of it. Love the combination of applique and pieced blocks in your quilt reminds me of a Kim Diehl quilt.

Quiltgal said...

Both of your quilts are gorgeous, not bad for 1o dollars.

unnatisilks said...

Awesome!!! I love them both.
Sarees Online
Online Salwar Kameez
Designer Kurtis online
Online Indo Western Apparel

Unknown said...

awesome
kanchipuram silk sarees online|indian saree online store

Unknown said...

nice art
buy sarees online | best sarees online | buy sarees online from india | silk sarees online | saree wholesale | wedding sarees online

unnati said...

wow simply cool
salwar kameez online | sarees online shopping | buy indian sarees online | saree manufacturers | cotton sarees online