Monday, July 11, 2011

What's new?

Since I've been away for a week and a half, not too much has been happening in my studio. So, here are a few photos of some of my summer quilts and tops that are hanging up in my home. In the photo below, my basket top and hexagon top (on the quilt ladder) are still waiting in the wings to be hand quilted. Instead of having them sit in my battered old trunk, they are on display to act as a motivation ..... someday! :o) My red and white top is still a top and it got hung up for our July 1 holiday. Time to take it down and finish marking it up for machine quilting. As much as I would love to hand quilt this one too, reality has to be faced and a decision to machine quilt this one has been made. Considering how long it takes me to hand quilt, I just can't do all of them by hand.

While I was away, some hand work got done. My hexagon star top has been all assembled and is now just waiting for borders and a decision for applique. This was a huge accomplishment and I am absolutely thrilled with it.


Before I left, a new tote bag got started and it will get finished before my next trip this summer. The summer months don't see me at home much as I travel to visit with family and spend time at our family cottage.


Now that hot days are finally here, I will be spending more time at my sewing machine in our cool basement. So, perhaps next week you will see a bit more of my School House project.


Have a great day!

13 comments:

Annette said...

I love your idea for displaying UFO's. I need that. Your red quilt is gorgeous!!

Carrie P. said...

Oh, your displays are just lovely. And such a nice way to display your UFOs. I like how they all match. I am trying to stay cool too. No basement for me but I turn the ceiling fans on high.

Karen said...

I used to hand quilt everything but no longer do that. Machine quilting was thought of as sort of cheating. Now it is an art all to itself and one I am not particularly good at.

Dolores said...

At least the projects you plan on working on are pretty. I'm sure they will bring joy to you as you stitch.

Deb said...

What an awesome display of quilts! You are right not to leave them in the chest and show them with pride.

I love that red and white one!!

Heather said...

I love your quilt ladder display. I passed up an apple picking ladder several years ago and have regretted it ever since. As a Canadian living in Georgia, USA I think I'd better get busy on a red and white quilt to show some national pride!

Julie Fukuda said...

Now I am wondering if the reason I don't have UFOs is because there is no place to display them. I do have a ladder to the loft but it really gets used too much as a ladder.

Jennifer said...

You tops are all so gorgeous, and I love the Red and white one.....so Canadian! Also noticed the pretty floral hanging on the wall near the quilt ladder.

Anonymous said...

Hand quilting is gorgeous but so much time-consuming ! I have to face the same problem...
I love all your quilts !
Katell, France

Michelle said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! Love your quilts and what a fantastic idea for displaying your quilts that need to be quilted! Thanks for sharing!

Teresa Rawson said...

Thanks for the quilt show!! I hear you about summer, travel and no time to quilt...sigh.

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Unknown said...

Your summer quilts (tops) are beautiful, great to have them hanging on the ladder although they are not yet quilted. Of course you can´t hand quilt all your quilts and I think that is fine.

Donna said...

Great tote - what pattern is it? And I love the red quilt...