Sunday, March 27, 2011

Be gone .... dye bleed-outs .... be gone!

Today, while browsing the web, I came across a post about how to get rid of bleed-outs. This same problem has happened to me ..... even though my fabric is all pre-washed ..... a few times now. It is time to share with you my tips for getting those darn bleed-outs out forever. You may remember seeing this little wall hanging on a post back last December. It was my SSCS scrap gift to Peg in Australia. Years ago, before pulling a trick from my sleeve, this hanging would have ended up in the garbage .... I will show you why. This was the start of my dilemma. I had almost finished hand quilting the centre section but was not happy with the way the borders were marked up and I washed it to get rid of all the markings and laid it flat to dry.
Well, can you see the bleed-outs???



Before .... this would have left me in tears .... but now now! What to do about it? I got some Colour Catchers for an exchange of an item. We can't get any of this product here in Canada and the person couldn't get a certain item in her country. A perfect exchange for both of us.

The area of bleed-out covered so much of the center portion, I took two sheets and basted them directly over the areas that had the bleed-outs. If there was just a small area, just cut the Colour Catcher sheet to cover the area. No sense in wasting a whole sheet, eh (and in case you are wondering, yes, I am hoarding them. They are as precious as gold here in Canada)!
My hanging was washed 2 times and laid flat to dry.



These sheets not only pull out the excess dye from the background fabric, it will also pull out any extra dye in the material (or in this case the wool strands) that will release the next time you wash a quilt or hanging. Depending on the dye colour, you may have to wash more than once. If need be, just replace the Colour Catcher sheets until the dye bleed-outs are all gone.


There were bleed-outs in this quilt .... and it is with this quilt that the solution came to me. I wanted to enter this quilt in my guild quilt show but couldn't because of the bleed-outs. You can imagine my smile when my method worked and I was able to enter this quilt for the show.
While we were getting ready for our guild quilt show, the lady that washed this raffle quilt came to us in tears. This was the quilt from hell and we just didn't need another problem to deal with just before the quilt show. Lucky for us, my method was already put to use and the lady was assured the problem would be solved. I think she was doubtful at first, but the quilt was displayed and raffled.
This method works. Try it and let me know if you were successful. I have given these instructions to others and the feedback has been positive.

Have a great day!

25 comments:

Mad about Craft said...

I absoluately love these colour catchers. I use them a lot. I've used them on a bright red, black & white quilt ( I never pre wash fabric, too lazy!)and no colour runs.

I would be happy to send you some from the UK if you would like.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I have not heard of these...but it did work so well on my hanging....which I love and cherish....

*karendianne. said...

Rose Marie - this is totally cool!!! Thanks for sharing. I'm amazed ( yet again ).

Anonymous said...

Well I use them all the time and trow them in with the wash of a quilt, I wash all my quilts in the machine and don't prewash any fabrics and love them.
If you ever need any let me know.

Christine

Kim said...

I've used these for years now. I use an entire sheet if I expect a lot of bleeding from fabric I did not prewash, but otherwise one third of a sheet works great - so you can use a little less of those precious sheets. Worth their weight in gold I think. :-D

Karen said...

I started using Color Catchers recently. I have not had a color run on a project such as you have and I am glad to know that, if so, I can try the Color Catchers to take it out.

liz said...

I am a convert to Colour catchers. Because they are easy to get in Australia (about the only thing that is!!) I use two or three if I am machine washing a largish quilt. They usually come out covered in colour (mainly reds) but my quilt is clean. They have even removed dye that had run 15 years earlier before I came across them. I've used them to soak with applique blocks that have run. A fabulous product.

Brenda said...

Thanks for the tip. I am going to have to get some. Such lovely quilts! You should be very proud of yourself.

Jennifer said...

I'm another fan of colour catchers! Let me know if you have trouble getting them, because they are easy to find here. Even son no 1 used them when colour from a red shirt ran onto his good white shirt.....and it taught him not to leave wet washing in the machine with colours lying against each other.

Kiera-Oona said...

Im somewhat wondering why we dont have a product like that here. Its one of those things that not only could I use that on my clothes, but before I ever so carefully used bleach to get the red out of my easter quilt, I so could have used some of those (another project that I had washed several times bled onto my white bunnies making them a horrid pink)

Jen said...

I'm in Kitchener, Ontario and can find Shout Colour Catchers at my local grocery stores. I usually buy mine at the Real Canadian Superstore where they are hung off of the shelf in the laundry detergent aisle.

I never pre-wash my fabrics but always wash my completed quilts with a colour catcher and have had no bleeding issues at all. I love them!

Barb said...

fantastic - and how clever to cover the area - I just usually throw them in the machine!

Teresa Rawson said...

FABULOUS!! So this works - even after a project has been washed, bled and dried? WOW!! I will try it! I have the color catchers...I only use them the first time something is washed...never thought they would work once the bled dye dried....

I'd be happy to send you some color catchers if you will email me your address...that is how much I appreciate this tip!!

In stitches, (in Michigan)
Teresa :o)

Teresa Rawson said...

Oooo! One more thought...I just recently had to buy a new washer and ended up with one of those top loaders with no aggitating spindle. It uses less water and I have not washed a quilt in there yet because I was worried about fading and whether the color catchers work as well in thin new-fangled kind of machine. Anyone out there with experience with this kind of washer and color catchers??

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Teresa said...

I use the color sheets in my laundry quite often, but this is neat technique you have discovered. What absolutely gorgeous quilts!

Janet said...

I live in Edmonton and our grocery store carries them. If you ever need some let me know.

Julie Fukuda said...

I have been hearing of this product a lot lately. It is not sold here but next time one of my kids asks me what I want from the states, this will be on the top of my list. Thanks! The makers should pay you for that good ad.

Janet said...

That's so wonderful that you saved the pieces, we can't rely on threads always being colourfast either.
It was my pleasure to send you the colour catchers.

Quilt Doodles said...

I love your handwork! Thanks for the tip about using the Color Catchers...I do a lot of embroidery and worry about the reds bleeding out. I'll be ready for it now.

SepticTank.co.uk said...

I have really enjoyed your site. Keep up the good work

Unknown said...

Magic!!! When did you make that quilt? Looks gorgeous.

Quilter Kathy said...

I love these things and stock up on them when I go to the US...don't know why they won't sell them here?

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

It's been a year now since most of these comments were left by quilters. I'd like to add my two cents: I'm glad this method of dye removal has worked for you. However, as someone who has spent almost 4 years sponsoring a group quilt (and hand quilting it), you can't imagine the stress and heartache that came when several people refused to prewash their fabrics and the dye ran all over the qult! I have spent hours in tears,a when the quilting is finished, have to deal with the results of their actions. Please, if you are contributing to a group quilt, please prewash!

Vicdoy said...

Good morning. I washed a piece of needle work and now have color run on it! I tried your suggestion using Shout Color Bolck sheets. It didn't work after one washing. Any other suggestions? Thanks for all your help.
Vickie Doyle
Minnesota

gd said...

So I am a little late to the party - but I am trying this method on an heirloom quilt that was, rather unfortunately, misplaced in a move - - I found it in a humid storage area, in a plastic (I know, I was gobsmacked, I didn't pack it like that) bag. Good news - no mold or mildew stains and the fabric is all in tact - bad news? You guessed it bleeding. This gives me hope!