Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Treasure
























....... and another block.

For the past number of weeks, not much has been happening in blogland for me. I haven’t been visiting or commenting too much on other blogs.

What have I been doing? Genealogy research. Quite some time ago, I left a message on one of the genealogy sites and a distant relative recently responded. We have been going back and forth with information, but the best so far is this photo of my great, great grandmother.






























Malvina Sikorski Mueller (from Posen, Prussia).

She immigrated to Canada around the mid 1870’s and settled in the township of Mayo (or Blanche) Quebec which is not far from Ottawa. In subsequent years, her married name has been changed to Miller. Anyone wanting to start the genealogy process should understand that names that we think are spelled one way are actually spelled a different dozen of ways on documents and you cannot imagine the frustration in dealing with that. So be prepared. The joy of finding an ancestor is worth it. Looking at her and her home, I can only imagine the hardship encountered in leaving hard times in Prussia only to encounter harder times in Canada.

What a treasure I now have to share with my family members.

Have a great day!

12 comments:

Teodo said...

Rose Marie this is a true and sweet memory treasure.
ciao ciao

Paula, the quilter said...

My baby sis is the genealogist of our family. Plus my brother's oldest girl, too. Both have that detective- type gene. That quilt top is stunning.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I too am a quilter and I dabble in genealogy. I am sure I don't need to tell you but you are so lucky to have that photo. That is the sort of thing that makes all the searching so rewarding. Good luck with your search and I love your quilt.

Anonymous said...

I also spend some of my time with family history. Love the searching

Brenda said...

How fabulous for you to have this photo and contact with a relative! Great luck with your searches.

Unknown said...

There were many Icelanders that went to Canada and amongst them were one of my ancestors.

Kim said...

This is an exciting find. My family and Tom's have done the genealogy of our families, yet they find it is never really done. Beautiful stitchery and quilting.

Pam said...

Good luck with your research Rose. My parents found family in Hungry and have been back there 3 times now for visits. It is well worth the work!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Thank you so much for sharing your photo how exciting...love your stitchery Rose Marie it really is looking so good.

*karendianne. said...

Rose Marie, this is truly an amazing photo and makes me want to tear up a little bit in awe.

Historically Moving Love, *karendianne.

Anonymous said...

I'm another one who does some genealogy and I've been working on getting the information that I have organized on the computer with old photos too. I find it fascinating.

em's scrapbag said...

What a fantastic photo of your Great Grandmother. I love old photos and journals.