Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Stonehenge challenge .... the journey!

This is my secret project that I've been working on since September.  I don't know why, but it was hard for me to get motivated to finish this project.

For the Northcott challenge, we had to buy 12 different kits and all the fabric on the front had to be from the Summer Solstice line of the Stonehenge fabric.

My friend, Darlene (owner of the garage we sew in), had her husband pick up some of the kits for us as he travelled by some of those towns/quilt stores for his work.  Some kits we ordered on line and some kits we got when we did a shop hop one day with friends.  We actually ended up with more than the required 12 kits and were able to pick and choose which ones we liked or needed to complete our top.

Darlene and I are both making a quilt for this challenge.  We really want to win the trip to England and Stonehenge.

Slowly, one by one, those kits got made up into blocks.  Some blocks were really complicated and others were simple.  One kit was short on fabric to complete the block.  That was annoying.

Then, my quilting groove came back.  Block by block they were getting done.
Then, Revvy came along and things kinda ground to a halt.  She was just so fascinated with everything I did in my studio.  She gave a helping hand quite often regardless if I wanted it or not.
 
My blocks even got the smell/taste test!
My top was coming together.
I was able to get things done while Revvy was keeping busy looking outside or sleeping.
Some Celtic applique was added in the centre.
 
A close-up of the applique.
For some strange reason Revvy was quite fascinated with my blocks hanging on my design wall.  

Oh, oh, when her mouth opened up, I knew finally what she was going for .... the pins.  In the mornings when I came into my studio and looked at this project, some of the pins that were pinned in the upright position were in the down position.  Revvy got to them during the night and dragged them down or right out and some pins were found on the carpet.  I was ever so careful with my box of pins and they were always hidden away in a drawer.  On the design wall was another thing.  They were up for grabs.  Quite literally!

 Hmmmm .... I don't quite like this block!
Finally, a large piece of fabric had to be hung to hide the pins.  The look on her face says it all.  She is not happy!  I took her fun away!  Bah humbug!
With and without her help, this top finally was finished and off to the LAer it went.
To make a long story short,  Miss Revvy was finally packed up and relocated to my sister's home.  Another escapade with pins and a visit to the vet and a $329.00 Xray later, Miss Revvy was not good to have around in my studio.  I didn't want her to get hurt or injured.  She was also fascinated with the needle on my sewing machine going up and down and knew it was time before that needle got into her paw.  She also loved to chew on the lever that raised/lowered my sewing foot and I had to hide that from her with a big piece of fabric weighed down with weights so that she could not get under it.  Nope, it was time for her to move on.   Her owner (my sister's youngest daughter) will be here in a few weeks and she will take her back home after her visit here.

It has been a week since she moved out and we actually do miss her, but not enough to want to catsit her again.  She was a handful.

Now that both Darlene's and my quilt are done, we met in her garage for photos.

This is Darlene's version.
This is my version.
Both have now been submitted to Northcott and it is in their hands now.  Will we be a contender or not for one of their prizes?  We shall see.

Well, I have rambled on for a bit and time to post this and move onto something else.  Perhaps a UFO?

Have a great day!

5 comments:

Kyle said...

First, both of your quilts are beautiful and unique and look like contenders to me. 🤞 Fingers crossed. I was wondering if you were worried about pins being swallowed. Pets are fine, but they have to fit into the family. I'm glad you were able to find a new home for her.

Jennifer said...

How interesting......both Darlene's and your quilts use the same fabrics and even the same blocks, but they turned out very different! Fortunately none of our cats have ever been fascinated by pins. Knitting needles and yarn - now that's another story.

Frog Quilter said...

Your quilts are beautiful. Poor kitty, I have one that has a pin fetish. I have to hide pins lol.

karenbbsnow said...

Great job on both!

eloidastitches said...

Beautiful job! Love them both. Love your Celtic applique addition. Sweet kitty, but having to keep an eye on her or your stuff at all times, would get tiring. I am glad you still enjoyed having her around for the most part.