Wednesday, January 12, 2011

UFO quilting

Besides working on my baskets, I am also machine quilting an old UFO that has been hanging around for a while. Nothing fancy, just a simple meander. While looking for my variegated blue quilting thread, I came across a polybag that had binding already made up. Can we say "bonus"? There is probably enough binding made for this quilt. I'm thrilled ... this binding will suit my quilt perfectly. Luckily, I had the hindsight to include the fabric leftover right inside the polybag if more binding is needed. Now, I'm wondering why it was made up in the first place and for what quilt? Usually, any binding or fabric for binding is placed in the bin along with the project.

I have only just started my meander quilting and already have encountered some puckers on the back (see the arrows). Not to worry, I have a plan for those and it does not include unpicking. A label will go on one of them and any others will have a patch of some kind. I hope to have a few more puckers as it will be more interesting than just one label and one patch.

You all know how much I love to recycle grocery items and here is a good example of how I use those cookie trays. Perfect for my pins and they are good for carting around to my different working stations.

Those trays fit perfectly inside one of the drawers in this small cabinet that sits right beside my sewing machine.

Have a great day!

18 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

The only machine piece I ever made ended up with tiny tucks or corners that didn't meet exactly. It was a mystery quilt and shows up on the 2003 pre-post. I ended up sewing cats I cut from some funky print to cover the boo-boos. If I tried to machine quilt I would need much more than a lable to fix it.;0D

Jennifer said...

Some things are meant to be, aren't they - like finding bonus binding fabric! I like the idea of using cookie trays, cutlery trays are good too because they will usually fit into a desk drawer.

Kiera-Oona said...

Even when Im not sewing by machine I still get puckers in funny places that shouldnt be there. But then again, I havent even finished my first bed sized quilt yet. Getting there tho.

Carol G said...

Love the perfect binding you found. Wonder if you will find the quilt it was made for right after you get it attached to this one :-)
quiltfever.wordpress.com

Janet said...

Yay, finished is better than perfect and it looks great, love the colours actually. The trays are a great idea for the bits and pieces.

Carol G said...

Hi Rose Marie, thanks for visiting my blog and for your words of encouragement about my border decision. I'm learning not to get too attached to my "mistakes!"

Joyce said...

Finding the binding is a bonus. I like the idea of the cookie trays. Now I guess I should buy some cookies...

Donna said...

How satisfying to work on a UFO! Nice.

Barb said...

Love that cookie tray idea! so clever. Finding that binding was a real bonus - it goes perfectly.

Carrie P. said...

that binding goes great for your quilt. Maybe once you washed and dried the quilt you wouldn't even notice the puckers.
You are so smart to use those containers. great idea.

Linda said...

That sometimes happens to me when I machine quilt. I think it only adds to the character. Not every quilt is perfect.

Grammy said...

According to the Amish quilters only God is perfect so you will always find an error in their quilts, now I have an excuse

Anonymous said...

My name is Sharon and I don't think I have ever seen a quilt that didn't have puckers .. quilting is that type of hobby that mistakes don't matter. Unless it is something so off the wall like a Dresden Star done in red white and blue with a huge yellow patch in one corner. lol and you know I think you could even get away with that depending on how seasoned a quilter you are. Who would do that anyway.. I mean good lord .. quilts go on the bed and nobody sees them unless you want them to and if you make them for gifts or sale you aren't going to make a huge mistake anyway. I think most ppl excuse puckering. Your border and binding is so pretty and matches perfectly and the whole quilt is beautiful. I have never done one with appliques yet and am wanting to try one. They are so painstaking .. all you ladies are very talented.

Unknown said...

Like the border choice and the advise on Cookie trays. Please stop by my blog sometime www.quiltingbyjeannie.blogspot.com

Katrina said...

Bonus binding! That's pretty sweet!

Bette said...

I love your quilt. I am a red, white and blue freak. Hoping to start my first quilt soon.

Quinton Quilter said...

Thank you for sharing your completed quilts with us - a wonderful collection! Love people that choose to make-do and reuse what they have. The binding looks great with the blue quilt! Good find!

Unknown said...

Really great post nice work i love your work and its really helped me in my research.Thanks
cheap patches