Sunday, September 21, 2014

More borders and more borders and more borders.

When Debra drove me back home from Toronto after attending this quilt show, I gave her a show and tell of all my tops.  It has been a while since she saw some of them.

As each top was pinned onto my design wall, we discussed quilting ideas and she came up with a couple that I quite liked.  It really does help to have a second pair of eyes to see things differently.

Then, I asked her opinion on a problem top.  I was stumped on borders.  The daisy fabric (on the right side) is pretty, but it wasn't really working for me.
Debra to the rescue!   We started pulling and auditioning fabrics and viola, the perfect one was found.  You will be seeing this completed top on another post.

There were two more tops that need an additional border on them.

This one (I'm not totally convinced yet):
 and this one (this one definitely needs an additional border to finish it off):
As each top was taken down from my design wall, the top and backing were folded onto an empty bolt.
 The daisy fabric has found a home ... it will be the backing for this quilt.
Instead of hanging in a closet, my tops are neatly stored on a shelf behind my design wall.  
 Have a great day!

8 comments:

Marie said...

Sounds like you took full advantage of that second set of eyes - good for you. What a great way to store quilts & backings - I'll have to remember that! Beautiful quilts, by the way - really love the one with the pinwheels.

ferne said...

That is a really great storage system! The quilt with the applique really caught my eye...do you know where you got the pattern?

Jennifer said...

No doubt about it, a second pair of eyes is good......another person's suggestions may be just what a quilt needs.

Deb said...

We had loads of fun unfolding and admiring each of her umpteen tops that we refolded and wrapped on these cardboard holders. I loved playing with the quilts and seeing some old and new friends. I have been able to watch the progress in a few of these lovely quilts, that pinwheel is one of my favorites! so much lovely work. Thanks for sharing such a great time.

Jeanne said...

I like your finished top/backing storage idea. Your tops are wonderful, too.

Granny Anne said...

Love the great idea to store the tops with backing. I have never bought by the bolt so will have to come up with cardboard alternative.
granny Anne
krbassoc57 at gmail dot com

Deanna W said...

That looks like a lot of tops that need finishing. Your UFO card at guild should be full. Now just to start finishing them!! lol

MARCIE said...

Great way to store those unfinished quilts. And they are such beauties! Do yoiu ever have them machine done or do you insist on hand quilting them? I am too impatient to hand quilt big quilts, I enjoy little stuff!